I think I am turning into a hippie.
Well...not completely but I find myself leaning that way. Since becoming a Mom? Maternal instincts promote hippie behaviors? There could be some truth to that. Think about it. I gave life. I sustain life. I mean, all through God the Ultimate Life Giver and Sustainer...but I am a vessel of this through pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. My body is lifegiving. That is a profound and beautiful miracle and I think it has opened up this desire in me to cultivate and allow for more life and beauty.
So how has my new hippie attitude presented itself?
- I cloth diaper. Yep, cloth and diaper next to each other. On purpose. And actually I love it. Maybe more on this in a future post.
-I am growing my own herbs - rosemary, cilantro, parsley, thyme, and basil. I actually tried this last summer and failed within a month, but this year I am more enthusiastic and I am planning on gathering and storing them so they will last longer and produce more. If I could..I would grow more things. Perhaps when I am no longer in an apartment.
- My interest in cooking, and more specifically in cooking fresh, local vegetables and fruits is growing. I actually get rather excited about it. I would love to be part of a CSA (community supported agriculture) but I don't think its in the cards for me right now in my apartment state. No freezer space. Scant dry storage space.
- I am researching and hoping to make most of baby Boy's food. I am trying to be realistic with the facts that a: I am a working Mom and don't want to overextend myself and b: I don't have a lot of freezer space. At all. Again..someday...
I have just been finding myself being drawn more and more to the simple. The natural. The beauty of our world. I want to find ways to minimize my "carbon footprint" and promote growth. I also desire to live in a way respectful of other people and their needs, trying to curb my consumerism. I'm not always great at this. It's a process. But a new exciting path for me.
Peace.
hey hippie! I think it's great that you've decided to be so...hippie like? I've kept up recycling and I'm also trying to buy local, there are some farmers markets around here during the summertime but I think I've missed that window. Cloth diapers kind of weird/gross me out, but I don't have a child
ReplyDelete:) and I am glad you use those. I wonder how many diapers are used a day. too many. I know this post was a long time ago but those are my thoughts on your thoughts!
and Peace to you!
I'm so glad you are blogging! I like to read your musings! I find I've kind of become a hippie of sorts too! I secretly want to cloth diaper, but I also really don't. I've heard really great things about it. I want to grow herbs come spring on my back deck. I found a smart way, get a over the door shoe holder, the cloth kind with pockets, not the wire ones, and grow them in there. I read in a magazine a good way to save your herbs is to chop them in the food processor, mix it with a little bit a water and freeze them in ice cube trays, then you can add them to soups or whatever and it's fresh herbs. I'm with you on the making baby food too. i like it. I would love to have a deep freeze some day, that's a dream we share. Anyway, I like this blog. Put up some pictures!!! Keep blogging!
ReplyDelete