Saturday, April 2, 2011

the continuing debate and a venture to the creative

Well I still haven't "gone public" with this blogging idea - or even ventured with another post until now.  I guess I'm just feeling odd about posting my inner musings for all the world to see...if they found it anyway.  But as I continue to ponder I will also continue to post.

Over the summer Adam and I purchased a camera.  I mean a nice digital SLR camera.  Neither of us really had much experience, but we both had an interest and since we were planning a: a trip to Alaska and b: the birth of a child, we decided it would be a good time to invest in one and just learn as we go.  So initially I had been experimenting just a little..with the easier for beginner settings.  Just been enjoying the fact that my pictures have a much better quality than with my point and shoot and that I am so much less dependent on the flash which just looks nicer.  However in the past week I have really been wanting to explore photography more - learn even more about the camera and delve into my creative side.  So I read through a few tutorials online, skimmed through some cute photography in the random blogs I have stumbled upon, and pulled the camera out to do some experimentation. 
Mainly I have just been working on getting a feel for how much the image changes when I tweak things like ISO, shutter speed, and aperture setting.  I want to further understand white balance and lighting composition.  I feel like I am getting to where I can get a good photo but I want to learn how to manipulate these settings for an artistic effect...and of course further develop my compositional skills.  I'll have to post some of my more recent shots soon but don't expect anything too spectacular just yet.  Any tips of the trade?  Sources I should look into?  If you're a photog feel free to leave input!

My little dude is my main subject and he typically makes me look good!  That is until he is over my zeal and just wants me to play with him.  He is getting so fun to play with as he interacts with us a lot more and goes nuts over some of his toys.  I'm not convinced yet, but I am somewhat suspicious that he might be teething...I've noticed some increased fussiness and some rather aggressive munching on the toys.  But still, as long as the kid gets his naps he's a pretty happy guy.  I'm learning he can be quite the sleeper!  He rarely makes it over 2 hours between naps these days.  I guess his little body decided that being on a nap schedule is cool and he much prefers them over his old doze in and out days.  I'll have to post about our current sleep routines and sleep philosophies..but I'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment